Thursday, July 28, 2011

An Email to my Staff

I was feeling rather inspirational today and sent one of my RA staffs the following email:


Hello, Village Team –

I’m super excited to welcome you all back to campus in a little over two weeks. Summer has quickly escaped us, whether we like it or not. I’m anticipating the start of another year because of the excitement of new beginnings. I hope you all feel the same way.

New beginnings provide us all for the opportunity to do great things this coming school year. I hope you will all think about what great things you hope to accomplish this coming school year. 

I’m very excited for our staff, because I think this Village staff is very dynamic. For the three returners on staff, I know what each of you is capable of, and I can’t wait to see what sort of leadership you’ll bring to the table. For the three new RAs on staff, I look forward to your energy, enthusiasm, and ideas. History has shown me that new RAs can provide a great deal of energy and enthusiasm.

I want to issue you a few challenges as we count down the days to the start of the school year. Please take some time and think about each of these challenges:

  • I challenge you to reach out to your residents BEFORE the start of the school year, whether it’s using Facebook, email, or even Postcard or snail mail. Your first-year students will especially appreciate it.
  • I challenge you to think about the word “community”… What does this word mean to you, and how will you create a positive, engaging community in your building?
  • I challenge you to come up with new ideas. If you are to know anything about me, it is that I love new ideas, and I love when people think outside the box. (“Because that’s how we’ve always done it…” is not a phrase in my vocabulary.)
  • I challenge you to have fun over these next two weeks. I promise you’ll enjoy RA training, but there’s going to be a lot of work involved with it.

Any questions, concerns, or thoughts? Be sure to contact me.


-Brian

No comments: